With the world slowly returning to some semblance of normality, it’s time to start planning your next vacation. Toronto, Canada is one of the most vibrant and exciting cities in the world and if you’re looking to explore its downtown area in 2023, we have some tips for you! Read on as we explore the best ways to experience Toronto downtown in 2023.
Essential Tips for Exploring Toronto Downtown
If you’re planning to explore Toronto downtown, there are a few essential tips you should keep in mind.
First, be sure to wear comfortable shoes – you’ll be doing a lot of walking!
Second, make sure to pack light; Toronto is a very walkable city and you won’t want to be lugging around a heavy bag.
Third, familiarize yourself with the public transit system before you go – it’s an easy way to get around and avoiding getting lost. Finally, don’t forget to enjoy the food!
Toronto has some great restaurants and cafes, so make sure to try out as many as you can. With these tips in mind, you’re sure to have a great time exploring Toronto downtown.
Best Attractions in the Downtown Area
There are plenty of things to see and do in Toronto’s downtown core, and the area is very pedestrian-friendly, making it easy to explore on foot. Here are some of the best attractions in the downtown area:
The Eaton Centre: This large shopping mall is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the city. It features over 250 stores and restaurants, as well as a food court.
Toronto City Hall: This iconic building is home to the mayor and city council of Toronto. It’s worth a visit for its architecture and public art displays.
Yonge-Dundas Square: This vibrant public square is often referred to as the “Times Square of Canada.” It’s a great place to people watch, do some shopping, or catch a movie at the nearby Cineplex cinema.
Nathan Phillips Square: Located in front of Toronto City Hall, this square is home to many events throughout the year, including an outdoor skating rink in winter.
St. Lawrence Market: This historic market dates back to 1803 and is now home to over 120 vendors selling everything from fresh produce to artisanal cheeses.
Where to Eat and Drink in the Downtown Area
There are plenty of great places to eat and drink in Toronto’s downtown area. Here are some of our favourites:
• The Drake Hotel: This hip hotel is home to a great restaurant, bar and lounge. The perfect place for a casual bite or a night out on the town.
• Bar Hop: A popular spot for locals and tourists alike, Bar Hop offers a great selection of craft beer and pub fare.
• Tokyo Smoke: A trendy café that is perfect for coffee or tea lovers. They also have a great food menu if you’re looking for something more substantial.
• 416 Snack Bar: A casual eatery that specializes in small plates and snacks. Ideal for sharing with friends or grabbing something quick before heading out on the town.
Shopping Opportunities in the Downtown Area
Some of the most popular shopping areas in Downtown Toronto include:
• The Eaton Centre: This massive mall is one of the most popular shopping destinations in the city, and for good reason. With over 250 stores and restaurants, there’s something for everyone at the Eaton Centre.
• Bloor-Yorkville: This upscale neighbourhood is home to some of Toronto’s best luxury shops and boutiques. If you’re looking to splurge on some new designer clothes or accessories, this is the place to do it.
• Queen Street West: This trendy neighbourhood is known for its independent shops and eclectic style. If you’re looking for unique items that you can’t find anywhere else, Queen Street West is definitely worth checking out.
Cultural Experiences in the Downtown Area
There are plenty of cultural experiences to be had in Toronto’s downtown area! Here are a few tips to help you make the most of your exploration:
Start at the Art Gallery of Ontario, where you can view works by Canadian and international artists.
Then, head to the Royal Ontario Museum to learn about natural history and world cultures.
For a taste of local culture, visit the Distillery District, where you can tour historic buildings and sample craft beer, spirits, and food.
End your day with a walk along the Harbourfront, where you can take in views of Lake Ontario and the city skyline.
Make sure to check out Nathan Phillips Square, too, which is home to public art installations and frequently hosts events like concerts and farmers markets.
Fun Activities for Kids in the Downtown Area
Assuming you would like tips for activities to do with kids in the downtown area of Toronto:
- The first stop for any family visiting Toronto should be the world-renowned CN Tower. Not only is it a Canadian icon, but it also offers breathtaking views of the cityscape from its LookOut Level and SkyPod.
- Another can’t-miss activity in Toronto is a visit to Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada. Located in the heart of downtown, this Aquarium is home to over 16,000 sea creatures from across the globe.
- For a taste of local culture, head to St. Lawrence Market on a Saturday morning. This historic market has been serving Torontonians since 1803 and is now one of the city’s top attractions.
- If your kids are looking for some thrills, take them to Canada’s Wonderland theme park! Located just outside of downtown Toronto, this park features more than 200 rides and attractions, including roller coasters, water slides, and live entertainment shows.
- No trip to Toronto would be complete without a visit to Niagara Falls! Just an hour away from downtown by car or bus.
Tips to Explore Toronto Downtown in 2023 is sure to be an unforgettable experience. Whether you’re looking for a unique dining option, a fun way to spend your day outdoors, or just want to soak in some culture and history, there’s something for everyone when visiting downtown Toronto. Don’t forget to book your tickets early and plan ahead so that you can make the most out of your time!